Sponge cake basic recipe
paleo | grain free | gluten free
INGREDIENTS: makes 16-20 servings
- 250 g softened butter, room temperature
- 320 g viscous honey (e.g. rapeseed honey) (210 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 250 g Ruut cassava flour
Tip :) Only use a kitchen scale for our recipes or to weigh the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and honey. Using a mixer, beat the mixture for about 8-10 minutes until it has lightened in color and is slightly foamy. Now fold in the baking powder and salt. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition.
- The mixture does not combine completely after adding the eggs. Add the Ruut cassava flour and beat the batter on low until well combined. If necessary, scrape along the edge of the bowl to ensure all the ingredients end up completely in the batter.
- Grease a 42x34 cm cake tin*. Pour the batter into the mold and spread evenly.
- Bake the cake for 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and free of any residue. Before serving, allow the cake to cool completely in the tin or on an oven rack.
- Before preparing the dough, leave the eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- *The dough can be baked in different baking pans. The baking time depends on the size of the mold.