Gluten-free and paleo rhubarb sponge cake with meringue
paleo | grain free | gluten free
Recipe by: Johanna from www.glutenfreierezeptwelt.de
Ingredients : for a cake about 22 cm in diameter
- 250 g softened butter, room temperature
- 250 g thick honey
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 200 g Ruut cassava flour
- 50 grams of almond flour
- 500 grams of rhubarb
- 30 g sliced almonds
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tbsp honey
Tip :) Only use a kitchen scale for our recipes and to weigh the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and honey. Using a mixer, beat the mixture for about 8-10 minutes until it has lightened in color and is slightly foamy. Now fold in the baking powder and salt. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition.
- The mixture does not combine completely after adding the eggs. Add the Ruut cassava flour, ground almonds and flaked almonds and beat on low until well combined. If necessary, scrape along the edge of the bowl to ensure all the ingredients end up completely in the batter.
- Wash the rhubarb and cut into 0.5 cm pieces (leave the skin on) and fold into the dough.
- Grease a springform pan with a diameter of approx. 22 cm*. Pour the batter into the mold and spread evenly.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and free of any scraps of batter.
- Prepare the base just before the end of the baking time. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Stir in the honey. Spread the egg whites on the cake and bake for 5-7 minutes on the grill function of the oven. Depending on how hot the grill function is, the meringue will take a little longer or shorter. It should definitely be golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Before preparing the dough, leave the eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- *The dough can be baked in different baking pans. The baking time depends on the size of the mold.