Gluten-free baking mix for bread and rolls - the detailed recipe
Note: Bake gluten-free with the Ruut gluten-free baking mix - bread & rolls
Baking mix contains flour for 3 x 4 buns or 1 loaf plus 4 buns
For 4 rolls you need:
- 270 g of the baking mix
- 245 ml water
- 13 g oil (olive, avocado, sunflower oil)
- 1 egg (50 g)*
- 1 egg yolk (16g)*
95 g apple puree (100% apples) instead of the eggs
Coating optional (only for the buns):
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp (7g) honey
- 1 tsp cold water
- Grains for sprinkling (sesame, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds...)
Tip :) Only use a kitchen scale for our recipes and to weigh the flour.
- Pour the contents of the baking mix (270g) into a mixing bowl. Heat the water and oil to 50 degrees. Whisk together the egg and yolk.
- Add the warm water and eggs to the baking mix. Use a hand mixer with a dough hook to work the ingredients in circular motions for about 20-30 seconds. Once the dough is homogeneous, quickly shape it into a ball.
- Shape the dough into 4 equal sized, oval buns. Cover and let rise in a warm place on a baking sheet with baking paper for at least 60 minutes.
- For the coating, whisk together the honey, water and egg white and brush lightly onto the buns and sprinkle with seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C convection air, place an ovenproof bowl or pot with water in the oven and heat it up.
- Bake the buns for 24-26 minutes until golden brown. Let cool COMPLETELY ( at least 1-2 hours ) on a wire rack.
If you cut the rolls and the bread too early, it will still be damp and soggy on the inside, so it is important that you let it cool down completely (about 2 hours!!) before you cut it.
For 1 x bread you need twice the amount of ingredients as for 4 rolls, i.e.:
- 540 g baking mix
- 490 ml water
- 26 g olive oil, avocado or sunflower oil
- 2 eggs*
- 2 egg yolks*
* vegan option:
190 g apple puree (100% apples) instead of the eggs
- Heat the water and oil to max. 55 degrees, if it is hotter the yeast will die. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs together. Add the warm water and eggs to the cake mixture and mix immediately with a wooden spoon. The dough should stick to the spoon as a lump and be sticky and firm. If necessary, knead a little more with your hands. Overall, the dough is only stirred together briefly, so do not stir or knead for too long!
- Shape the dough into a flat, oval loaf, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 60 minutes. Until the volume has doubled significantly.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C hot air, putting a pot without a lid the size of your bread (preferably a cast-iron pot) in the oven. Put the hot pan over the risen bread and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the pan and bake an additional 25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow on the inside. To do this, tap the bottom of the bread.
- Allow to cool COMPLETELY (at least 2-3 hours) on a wire rack and enjoy. In order to have something of the bread for a long time, you can cut the bread into slices, freeze it and toast it fresh again if necessary.
Discover now the Ruut baking mix, the best wheat alternative!
Get the Ruut gluten-free baking mix today and save 40%!